Unite NEC election results & Grass Roots Left supporters conference
Posted by jerryhicks4gs on April 21, 2011
Can I take this opportunity to thank all those who stood, voted, and helped in the election for Unites NEC. Unfortunately whilst we were not successful in getting any of our candidates elected, ‘Grass Roots left’ candidates gained a very impressive combined total of 23,192 votes [on a turnout of 8%]. [See Unite web site for full details]. 23,192 members who shared the same views and values of…………….
• Unite cannot be a truly democratic union without the election of all Union officials.
• Elected by the members, not appointed by the General Secretary or a panel.
• Confronting anti-union and other unjust laws in the UK and EU.
• Making Unite a fighting union, not just campaigning.
• Only supporting Labour MPs or Councillors that support and our policies.
• Independent of the unions machine and free from the involvement of appointed full time officials.
However many questions need to be asked. If ‘92% do not vote in an election then what does it mean? How democratic is it? What real mandate has the NEC?’
These questions and many others need to be debated. As does, ‘What now for the ‘Grass Roots Left’? At present merely a banner by which people have come togther. It followed the fantastic ‘Jerry Hicks for General Secretary’ campaign.
To this end a conference is taking place on the 7th May, it is open to and for all those who support the aims and objectives of the ‘Grass Roots Left’.
All supporters, please come to the conference on 7th May to decide what’s next.
GRASS ROOTS LEFT ‘SUPPORTERS’ CONFERENCE’
11.30 to 4pm, May 7th Room 3E, University of London Union, Malet Street, London.
Contact us: email firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel 07817827912
GRASS ROOTS LEFT RECLAIMING UNITE FOR THE MEMBERS. Visit http://www.grassrootsleft.org